Star Trek Into Darkness Review
Last night we went along to the latest update of the Star Trek reboot, some had seen the first reboot some had not, but we are all Sci-fi fans and love the heart of Star Trek.
Overall we had a good night out. One was a raving fan, and the rest of us enjoyed the ride.
The opening sequence is beautifully shot and sets the tone really well. The characters for the most part hold together well and work as new characters and as ripples of their archetypes, and the core question of logic / heart and what is right begins.
- Great graphics – this is what animation and special effects were dreamt for – big space scenes where you really can forget that not one piece is really floating in space – yes the USS Enterprise is a real ship and we all wish we could fly on her…
- The physicality of the universe made more sense – a real sense of a human made space ship and engineered world.
- A few moments that will leave you engaged by the plot and wondering what’s next..
- A favourite “Sherlock Holmes” playing a baddie.
- Spock played by Zachary Quinto (from Heroes) played it well and the love interest with Uhura (played by the gorgeous Zoe Saldana)
- a couple of the characters don’t cut it – McCoy, Scotty, … they are good actors but someone don’t seem to be playing it as straight as the rest and they are comic relief in parts but not in a way that we felt was right. Character choice and ability to play a role convincingly so that we the audience suspend our disbelief is more and more essential and harder and harder to “fake”.
- a couple of places will have you question the plot and nice hollywood rubber band endings
Overall a movie that you can watch in the cinema or when it reaches home release. It won’t shock your world, but it will leave you having had a fun ride with your friends and after all isn’t that what cinema at least at times is all about.